Thursday, September 18, 2014

Day 11: What is your favorite part of the school day and why?

If you knew the day I had today, you would know how challenging it is to respond to this prompt. But I think that my inability to name a "favorite" part after what felt like a never-ending day, is evidence that teachers can't really have a favorite part. A teacher's day is too unpredictable. The moving parts, that are our students, make feeling totally comfortable in any of it an impossibility. 

I deal in 12-13 year olds. I'm pretty sure it is the most difficult time in life where you are constantly in flux with highs and lows. I never take for granted that I can't count on who is walking through the classroom door. No matter how engaging the lesson, we might be having a bad day.

And so for today, my favorite part is this moment. Sitting on the couch in my sweatshirt and sweatpants typing away this terrible, rotten, no-good very bad day.

No comments: